Menu
Iconic History

The Beginning of Tradition

The estate that became Tradition Golf Club was originally homesteaded in 1902 by John Marshall. It was later named La Quinta or "the country house" for the small house Marshall had built on the property. In the years following, Marshall added the main ranch house to the property - a home designed by noted architect Gordon Kaufmann, who went on to design the La Quinta Resort.

Pre 1902

The land Tradition Golf Club sits on was once hunting grounds for the Cahuilla Indians which was proven by the countless arrowheads found in the area by settlers.

Video: "Taking Rock"

Play Video

1902

John Marshall homesteaded 160 acres from the Southern Pacific Railroad and the original home (the Eisenhower Cottage) was built. Notably, Washington Street was originally named Marshall Road and La Quinta Cove was known as Marshall Cove.

Video: "Original Ranch Gates"

Play Video

1920

Main ranch house, the Hacienda was built by Architect, Swanson. Cactus and specialty gardens planted

Video: "Treasures of Tradition"

Play Video

1938-1954

Marshall Ranch sold to William and Elizabeth Rosecrans. William was the grandson of Civil War General William Starke Rosecrans. Ranch home named "Hacienda del Gato" in honor of the family cat that alerted Mrs. Rosecrans of a rattlesnake outside the kitchen doorway. Guests included Presidents Eisenhower and John F. Kennedy, Rudolph Valentino, Greta Garbo, Ginger Rogers, Joan Crawford, Marlene Dietrich, Errol Flynn, Kathryn Hepburn and Clark Gable among many others.

Video: "Eisenhower Cottage"

Play Video

1954

Rosecrans sold the property to citrus farmers James and Esther Holmes. Citrus cultivation included: Seville orange, pink grapefruit, Ponderosa lemon, Algerian tangerine to name a few.

1972-1996

The property was owned by several developers, Fritz Burns, Bill Young and then Landmark Land Company

1996

The property was then sold to Sienna Corporation who partnered with Arnold Palmer and his design company to begin construction of Tradition golf course.

Video: "Arnold Palmer at Tradition"

Play Video

1997-1998

Tradition Golf Course and Clubhouse opened

Video: "Hole #17 - The Secret Tee"

Play Video

2008

Club transitioned from developer to a Member Owned Equity Club

2017

Tradition Golf Club distinguished as a Platinum Club of America

2018

Arnold Palmer Statue Unveiling

Video: "Arnold Palmer Statue"

Play Video

Present Day

Our Tradition Continues…

Contact Us Today

Tradition Golf Club 78505 Old Avenue 52
La Quinta, CA 92253

760.564.8723info@traditiongc.com